This blog.

This is a Christian-fiction storyblog about a
young widowed Christian man and the
fictional town in Ohio where he lives.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Narrow Escape. (Epilogue)



Richard Williams had gained full recovery from his heart attack and he,
his wife Neva and daughter Karen have spent the time of his recovery
with quality family time together.
 All three have been attending services at Newberry Community Church
regularly as a family, with Mac always there to greet them, along with
Jenny and Wilfred.  
The Williamses have now become official members of Newberry
Community Church, with Richard going through a water baptism the
Sunday following their declaration of membership. 




 The birthdays of Brian and Dawn Canfield had fallen right around when
the bunnies which they were to receive as birthday gifts were ready to be
weaned.
 When the Canfield family arrived at Mac's home to pick them up, Mac
lead them to the hutch where the bunnies were and they each picked one.
Mac also added as a bonus; two small, portable hutches to house them 
along with bowls and an ample supply of rabbit food to get them started.
He gave them both written instructions on how to care for them which
they both gladly accepted.




                                              


 It was a chilly, late fall afternoon when Mac Davenport went to visit
Peaceful View cemetery, a local cemetery just on the northern end
of town. He came to a site where both his adoptive parents, Wayne M. 
and Laura B. Davenport were laid to rest.  The burial site was a single, 
brownstone monument with the names of both his parents on it.
 Mac looked at the final date of his father, which was August 25th,
and it donned on him that that was the same date Richard Williams
almost lost his life had not Mac intervened.
 Mac spoke down to where the monument was with, "Mom and Dad, 
I rescued a soul from dying lost, but best of all I helped win him to
the Lord, whom you are both with right now. I owe this all to you as
well as the Lord for you taught me and brought me up in His ways. 
I love you and I'll see you in heaven."


Mac pulled the hood of his sweatshirt over his head when he felt raindrops
falling. He then looked up from the monument of his parents and as he
was getting ready to turn and leave he heard a young woman's voice
on his left say his name.  Mac recognized the voice and immediately
turned to his left to see Karen Williams standing in front of him.
She was wearing a short, white trench-type raincoat over what
appeared to Mac to be her nurse's aide scrubs. She was holding
an umbrella. 
 Mac thought, She came prepared.
  Karen looked up at Mac with compassion and concern seeing
he looked a bit grieved. Her head was cocked slightly to the right.
 "Hey, Karen" Mac said, glad if not surprised at her presence,
"What a surprise!  You visiting a deceased family member, too?"
 "Yes,"  answered Karen softly,  "I noticed the final date of your
father on the monument."   She went on, "My older brother David 
was the first in our family to know Jesus. He died on that same date."
 "Oh?"  replied Mac, eyebrows raised.
  "My dad could have died that same date as well," said Karen as
the rain started to increase. 
 "I know,"  said Mac, "I was just thinking about that myself."
 "Here," said Karen as she saw the rain start to increase, "Get
under my umbrella."  Mac stepped toward her as Karen held 
the umbrella over him and they were both under it.
 Karen then continued with, "It was my brother's death that
lead me to the Lord along with my mom. I think Dad just
needed a little 'coaxing' if you know what I mean."
 "I do,"  said Mac, "And I'm glad to have been a part of
that coaxing."
 "I'm glad you were, too."  
 The cold rain continued to pour as Mac and Karen walked
out of the cemetery and to their vehicles, both under Karen's
umbrella as they walked through the rain, taking their time 
under the torrent.   

No comments:

Post a Comment