This blog.

This is a Christian-fiction storyblog about a
young widowed Christian man and the
fictional town in Ohio where he lives.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Narrow Escape. (Chapter 8)





Mac Davenport woke up to find himself staring at a white
ceiling framed by familiar faces.
 As Mac's eyes slowly opened and began to gain their focus,
the fuzzy images of Gary and Vera Canfield, Pastor Hal
Shumway, Jenny Garrett and Wilfred Templar began to clear.
Mac slowly looked to his right and then his left and it was then
he realized he was in a hospital, County General no doubt.
 "He's coming to," Mac heard the pastor say. As Mac fully
gained consciousness the first words out of his mouth were,
"The guy in the wreck, how is he?"
"They have him in intensive care," Pastor Shumway replied,
"He's stable but critical."
"But still alive, right?"
"Yes, he's still alive, but Mac you must relax, that man's being
cared for."
 Mac felt uneasy. He remembered passing out while giving CPR
to the accident victim and wasn't sure if the CPR was effective.
"Hal," Mac went on, "I passed out from shock while administering
CPR to that man so I'm not sure if I helped any or not. Fool that I
was I didn't realize I was standing in spilled fuel."
"Mac," Gary spoke up, putting a hand on Mac's shoulder, "You were
in a dangerous situation. You were focused on getting that guy out of
there. And you got him out. I heard that car was totally engulfed in
flames when those wires gave way."
"I know it was," Mac replied, "but one of those wires came at me and
ignited my shoes. It was only the hand of God that that line struck my
artificial leg, otherwise me and the victim could have both been fried."
"Exactly Mac", the pastor added, "It was the hand of God so you need
not be hard on yourself." Hal went on, "You were the tool used of God
to rescue that man and you, the tool, was in His hand."
Hearing that Mac finally began to relax.
"You're right, pastor," Mac replied and then chuckled, "The only thing
that got fried was my right foot. Just call me Tenderfoot. Heh, heh."
"Now that's the Mac we're all used to," Gary said enthusiastically.
"I say young Mac," Wilfred Templar put in, "you had us all worried
when Pastor gave us the news. I had some concerns when I saw the
rescue vehicles head in the direction of your residence."
"Brian and Dawn begged to come with us to see you," Vera added,
"They're anxious to hear about you."
Mac was touched at that news. He replied with a chuckle, "Tell them
I'm anxious to get out of here."
"I sure will, Mac," Vera replied.
"I'm so glad you're alive, Mr. Davenport," Jenny Garrett finally said,
"I nearly panicked when I heard there was a big fire involved."
"Thanks Jenny," Mac replied then added, "I think since we are all in
here together we need to pray for this man's recovery but most
important, pray for his salvation if he is lost."
"A capitol idea, Mac," Wilfred replied.
 Mac, the pastor, Gary, Vera, Jenny and Wilfred all joined hands
and began earnest and fervant prayer for the man Mac rescued.




In the waiting room of the Intensive Care Unit of County General Karen
Williams and her mother Neva were waiting anxiously. Karen was in tears
as Neva tried to comfort her while doing her best to hold her own tears in
to be strong for the both of them.
"Mom," Karen sobbed, "You know Dad isn't saved. I don't want him to die
lost!"
At the last word lost Karen's sobs intensified as she buried her face in
her hands which held a large tissue and leaned on her mother's shoulder.
Neva, choking back sobs of her own, held her daughter closely as she felt
Karen's sobs make her daughter's back heave.
"Karen," Neva finally spoke, "I know he isn't saved, we both know that,
but this could be a wake-up call for him."
 Neva went on, "God could be working on him. Remember how we never
stopped praying for him?"
It was on hearing what her mother just said that Karen's sobs started to
subside and she sat up and began to collect herself.
 She looked at her mother with her tear-streaked face and red eyes and
said, "Yes, Mom I remember. And I haven't stopped praying for him."
 She went on, "Its just that when I heard the news about Dad, all I could
think about was the fact he was lost. I guess I lost it, too."
She managed to smile a little at her own remark.
 Neva looked down and saw the tissue Karen had used had gotten soaked in
its center almost to the edges. She pulled a fresh one from a box sitting on
the table in front of them and wiped Karen's cheeks and dabbed her eyes
with it. She then removed her glasses and wiped a single tear from her own
eye and put her glasses back on.
"Karen?" Neva then said, "Let us both pray for your father, for both his
recovery and salvation."
 Karen and Neva both sat facing each other and held hands, bowed their
heads and began to pray earnestly and fervantly for the man who was
Karen's father and Neva's husband.





This concludes Chapter 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment