This blog.

This is a Christian-fiction storyblog about a
young widowed Christian man and the
fictional town in Ohio where he lives.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Narrow Escape. (Chapter 14)




As the Canfields headed home, Brian and Dawn talked in the
back seat of the car about Mac's animals as Gary and Vera
listened in the front with parental fascination. Gary glanced
at them occasionally through the rear-view mirror and grinned
as Vera turned around and did likewise.
"You two are really anxious about this, aren't you?" Vera asked
them.
"Yes, Mom," Brian replied with Dawn answering with, "I can't
wait. I love holding Kato."
"Yes," agreed Gary, "He is somewhat irresistible save for that
horrible yowl of his."
"Oh, honey," Vera chuckled, "He's a siamese, and that's how a
siamese meows."
"He sounds like a baby crying," Brian put in, "I can't tell if he's happy
or mad."
"Yea," Gary said, "And I hear siamese can be pretty tempermental
so just be careful how you handle him."
"Oh, he loves me," Dawn bragged, "I feel him purr when I hold him."
"Just the same," Vera put in, still looking back at them, "be careful
how you handle Kato, we don't want you to get clawed."
"Yes, Mom."
 Brian changed the subject from Kato to Cornelius by stating, "The thing
we really need to watch out for is Cornelius' tail. That thing is a like a
giant blackjack."
"I know," Vera replied, "he walked past me one time wagging his tail and
got me behind my knee. I thought he was going to knock me off balance."
 Gary grinned and shook his head at the conversation taking place. When
they got to Main Street, which becomes Newberry Road as it leads out
just outside of town going west, Gary noticed that the power was still out
in the businesses along Main Street.
 He then announced, "We need to get home and get out flashlights because
I believe the power is going to be down awhile."
He then remembered something.
"Oh, wait," Gary added, "We need to check on Cornelius. Mac chained
him outside his house just before the accident."
"Oh yes," Vera agreed.
 Gary continued down Main Street where activity was going on despite the
power outage. As he got to the sign which signified the change to Newberry
Road, he noticed traffic coming in the opposite direction even though it was
miniscule.
"They must've moved the downed pole," Gary remarked when he saw the
oncoming traffic. "I see traffic in the opposite lane."
"Yea," Brian added, "Now if they can get the electric back on."
"Ooh Hon," Vera blurted out to Gary, "Do you think we can get near Mac's
house? Emergency or power crews may still be there."
"I was thinking about that myself, love," Gary answered then went on, "I
found out it was blocked near his house earlier and it closed down Newberry
Road in both directions."
As they neared the end of town that lead toward Mac's home, a flatbed tow
truck aproached in the opposite direction heading into town. Gary happened
to look in its direction as it passed them and noticed the vehicle on the bed
of the truck. The vehicle was charred as black as burnt toast with its front
end crumpled with the point of impact directly in the center of the front end.
The tires of the charbroiled auto were burned completely to its rims with its
front passenger door slightly ajar.
"Look," Gary said, pointing at the tow truck with its charred cargo, "That
must've been the car involved in the accident."
Vera, Brian, and Dawn immediately looked back as the wrecker passed and
watched in awe of the burnt-up car on the wrecker's bed.
"Mac and that man are still alive," Vera stated, still watching the tow truck
drive on toward town. "Only God intervened."
"I agree, Vera," Gary added. "God knew which tool to use."




This concludes Chapter 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment