This blog.

This is a Christian-fiction storyblog about a
young widowed Christian man and the
fictional town in Ohio where he lives.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Narrow Escape. (Chapter 25)



When the morning services at Newberry Community
Church concluded, Gary and Vera Canfield invited
Neva and Karen Williams to have lunch with them at
a place called The Country Skillet, a family-run
business in the southern end of town.
"Why we'd love too," Neva replied happily, "Karen?"
"That would be lovely," Karen replied, "Thanks!"
 Those of the congregation who hung around after the
services came over to where Karen and her mother
were to meet them and give their introductions with
Gary and Vera helping with the introductions. They
all offered their prayers to them and Richard before
leaving.
This is such a great congregation, Karen thought.



Lying in his hospital bed in the ICU unit of County
General Hospital, Richard Williams thought about
the meeting with Mac Davenport.
 This man saved my life, Mr. Williams thought while
staring at the ceiling above him, But he also saved
me from dying lost and from hell. I have regrets for
not having listened to Neva and Karen.
Mr. Williams kept his eyes upward and began to
pray silently, to himself these words:

  Father, I want to be a man after your own heart.
I want to head my home as a Godly man and be a
Godly husband to Neva and a Godly father to my
daughter Karen. I believe it is not too late to be
the family man you know I should be, but I need
your strength and your help, for I cannot do this
alone. I have asked you to come into my heart,
Lord, I need you Father as do Neva and Karen.
Help me be the man you want me to be, in Jesus
name, Amen.



Despite it being Sunday, Karen, her mother and the
Canfields did not have to wait long to get a table.
 Looks like we got here before everyone else, Gary
thought as his party was lead to their table.
Karen noticed that Gary and Brian remained standing
until all the women were seated.
 This is such a polite family, Karen thought as Gary
and Brian took their seats. 
A young server with red hair tied back in a ponytail
came to their table to distribute menus and asked
everyone if they wanted something to drink while
deciding on what to order. Her name tag read,
Mindy.
 When everyone decided on what to drink, Mindy
scurried away to fulfill their beverage orders and
Neva opened up the conversation.
"I must say that I really love your church," Neva
smiled, "Everyone was so thoughtful and so supportive."
 Karen put in with, "Yes, and I love how we were
welcomed. That one greeter, Wilfred made us feel like
royalty."
"He has the manners of an English gentleman," Neva
remarked kindly.
"True," Gary responded, "Wilfred was at one time an
English butler until he got saved."
"It turned out Wilfred could no longer serve under those
he worked for," Vera added, "The people he served
under were a bit shady."
"Oh my," Neva exclaimed and  then asked, "So how did
he find his way here to Newberry?"
"His car broke down on the interstate just where Newberry
Road meets," Gary answered, "And Mac just happened to
be in the area so he stopped to help him."
"Mac actually had his car towed to his house so he could fix
it, all free of charge," Vera put in.
"Apparently " Gary went on, "The alternator and fan belt gave
out, but since Mac worked for A-1 Automotive here in
Newberry, he was able to get the needed parts and fixed him
up right there."
"Mac even showed Wilfred hospitality by putting him up in his
home," Vera stated.
"Really?" Karen said, eyes a bit wide.
"Mrs. Williams?" Brian suddenly spoke up.
" Why yes, Brian," Neva turned and smiled at him.
"Uncle Mac even found him a job, too."
"Oh, how sweet. Where?"
"He's a janitor for the County Courthouse."
"I see."
Karen listened intently on the conversation regarding Mac
and Wilfred and thought to herself, I hope I meet Mac again.



This concludes Chapter 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment