This blog.

This is a Christian-fiction storyblog about a
young widowed Christian man and the
fictional town in Ohio where he lives.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Narrow Escape. (Chapter 2)





















 At a house on Meadow Lane a red Chevrolet Cobalt coupe pulled
into the driveway on the left of the modest, two-story brick house.
 A young woman got out of the Cobalt and reached back halfway
into the car to retrieve her purse. She looked to be in her early
twenties, brunette-haired, and wearing large, round sunglasses.
She was wearing a violet, stretch velvet dress and white high heel
shoes. She walked toward the side entrance of the house.

 Inside the house in the kitchen, Neva Williams was preparing the
dough for an apple pie by spreading it with a rolling pin. In fact
the kitchen seemed to have an apple theme to it. The curtains of
the kitchen windows were dotted with apples along with a light
green border. The wallpaper covering the kitchen walls were
white with a green lattice pattern and the wall paperborder
had a green border outline with rows of apples lining the white
middle of the border.
 A large , hunter-green framed picture portraying a basket of
Washington red apples set on a red-checkered tablecloth against
a black backdrop hung on a wall overlooking a tan and green
kitchen table set.
As Neva continued rolling the pie dough, she heard someone at
the door of the kitchen entrance and turned to see the young
lady that had pulled into the driveway appear as the door swung
open. The girl stepped inside looking somewhat radiant.
"Hey Mom!" The girl said as she came inside.
"Karen," Neva replied as she put the rolling pin aside, "So how
was the interview, dear?"
"It went great!" Karen replied happily, "The lady who interviewed
me, Mrs. Anderson looked impressed with my resume' and
experience."
"Oh Karen, that's wonderful!" Neva responded, equally happy.
I should here something within a week," Karen said.
I know how much you want to come back to Newberry," Neva
said, "And I have been praying for you as well."
"Thanks, Mom," Karen replied as she lifted her right foot and
reached down with her right hand to pull of one of her high-heel
shoes and then sat down on one of the kitchen chairs, " But we
really need to keep Dad in prayer. He isn't saved and I don't
like seeing him become such a workaholic. That isn't good for
him."
 Neva looked down at her daughter with love and concern
and said, "I know honey, I know. And I never have stopped
praying for your father and don't you stop, either."
"I haven't," Karen replied as she removed her other shoe and
rubbed her stockinged foot, "But you would think that with two
Christians in the family that it would reach him somehow."
Neva pulled the other chair close to where Karen sat then sat
down next to her and put her hand gently on her shoulder and
said, "Karen, you are concerned over many things, what with
the interview, wanting to come back home and your father's
salvation. But you needn't carry such a heavy load. Take it
to the Lord."
Karen looked at her mother with a sad smile and said, "Its
just that I haven't found a church I could call home. It seems
every one I find is one of these seeker-friendly types. They
don't run like a church at all. Too big, too impersonal."
"I understand, dear," Neva said, "and the church I have been
going to is falling in that same direction. But there is one church
I have been interested in and I think you and I should check it out
tomorrow. Want to come with me?"
"Oh Mom, I'd love that! What's the name of the church?"
"Newberry Community Church."



This concludes Chapter Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment